Thursday, July 19, 2012

What happened to 2011?  A whole year went by without my posting a single thing.  I guess I put my dream of re-skilling for Ecotopia on the back burner.

I think in some ways I moved away from it emotionally because living in fear 24/7 of what is going to happen was completely stressing me out.  I don't live in or near a Transition Town (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transition_Towns) so I'm not living in a mode of seeing what is coming as a challenge and an opportunity for living a better life.  I'm just living in the fear of what might happen, the chaos and violence that those books I read envisioned.

I've come back to this because I was writing out 10 Random things about myself on my Weight Watchers blog, and #10 was this dream, of creating a re-skilling school & agrarian ecovillage so that my life would be living and working in the solution, in the preparing for a post-peak oil, post economic crash world.  I pointed them to this blog, and in the process remembered that I had created it.

I have done some things over the last year that relate to this dream.  I visited Old Sturbridge Village a couple of times (http://www.osv.org/).  I also spent some time looking for land to buy in the southern Vermont/NH area, including close to Putney and Brattleboro, both of which are Transition Towns.  In the course of doing that, I thought more about this dream, about what kind of land I would need, about whether I could really do it.

I also learned about Flintlock Farm in Harvard, MA, where they are setting up a "Lost Arts" collaborative: http://www.lostartsna.org/

I've realized that part of me would really like to join up with an organization that already does this, rather than start out on my own.  I need to research more what is out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment